CLEX-9 October 25th, 2001 Operations
- The CLEX-9 forecast team has decided to stand by all operations for Thursday, October 25th.
- Weather Forecast (made at 1500 MDT 10/17/01):
We are on STAND-BY for CLEX operations on Thursday, 25 October 2001. The
morning GO/NO-GO will be no earlier than 0330 MDT (0930Z) for an earliest
WYKA take-off time of 0530 MDT (1130Z).
The morning model runs show favorable NW'rly flow over the CLEX-9 target
region. The big question will be how much moisture will be available to
support mid-level cloud formation. The ETA hints at some moisture - but
ends up sending most of this moisture to our south. Will have to wait for
morning nowcast to get a better handle on the 500 mb moisture. Forecasted
mid-level subsidence may further dampen mid-level cloud formation.
Friday looks potentially favorable as there is still NW'rly flow aloft.
Moisture might be choked off a bit due to a high pressure ridge that begins
to build in over the western US. By Saturday the ridge is expected to be
firmly in place over us with very little chance of mid-level clouds over the
CLEX-9 target region. Next chance for cloud looks like late Sunday/early
Monday as another PAC low pressure system begins to nudge into our region.
- Morning Update (made at 0330 MDT 10/25/01):
We are on a delayed GO/NO GO decision for WYKA CLEX-9 operations for Thursday,
25 October 2001. A final GO/NO GO decision will be made no sooner than 0600
MDT (1200 UTC) this morning for an earliest WYKA take-off time of 0800 MDT
We are STANDING DOWN any dual aircraft operations this morning involving the
SPEC Lear Jet. If we do go forward with CLEX-9 flight operations this morning
they will only be with the Wyoming King Air.
DISCUSSION: There are no target clouds around the region at this time. But
the short range models do show mid-level cloud moving into the region around
0900 MDT (1500 UTC). The big question is the timing of these clouds - hence
the delayed GO/ NO GO decision.
Next update: 0600 MDT (1200 UTC).
- Next Morning Update (made at 0600 MDT 10/25/01):
After another round of nowcasting we have decided to STAND DOWN CLEX-9 operations
for Thursday, 25 October 2001.
DISCUSSION: The updated satellite loops are still not showing the advection of
the upstream mid-level moisture much past the ID/WY border region at this time.
The updated RUC is now delaying any cloud formation over the NE panhandle region
until afternoon. Past experience with similar situations indicates that any cloud
that survives the morning die-off will have enhanced tops or be mostly ice cloud
(i.e. potential cirrus).
Tomorrow still looks like a potentially good day if the moisture forecasted makes
it into the CLEX-9 operational region. The weekend continues to look dry and
unfavorable for mid-level cloud formation.
Sunrise Information for North Platte, NE
(longitude W100.8, latitude N41.1):
Central Daylight Time
Begin civil twilight 7:38 a.m.
Sunrise 8:07 a.m.
Sun transit 1:27 p.m.
Sunset 6:48 p.m.
End civil twilight 7:16 p.m.
1200Z 500 mb Map
1216Z GOES IR Image
- No UW King Air Operations
North Platte, NE Ground Operations
- Ground Instrument Status: Everything working well
Data Collection Highlights:
- Summary: Nothing to report